Sunday, March 13, 2011

Humanitarian Mission 2011

It was a quiet Friday night in January when my phone got a text. I heard it but kept going about my business. One text. Two texts. Three texts. Email notification. What on earth was going on?
It was my professor at USU and students from my program all texting and sending out emails. An opportunity had just opened to go on our annual audiology humanitarian mission with the Starkey Hearing Foundation. So why the rush? My professor had just found out minutes before, we had hours to decide if we were in or out and we were leaving in less than a week. I am not a good decision maker and certainly not under pressure. Mike told me it was a once in a lifetime experience and I'd regret it if I let the rush back me out. So I said yes and a whirlwind later...
We were in Toluca, Mexico. I must say that when you travel with the Starkey CEO Bill Austin you stay in much nicer places than we've ever stayed as a USU group. Yes, unlike the Dominican Republic, I couldn't see the sky through the motel ceiling, we had AC, no lizards in the room, stinging ants in your bag, alarming stains all over the bed or occasional fear for your life. :)

We spent 5 days fitting hearing aids in Toluca and 1 day in Mexico City. 6,000 hearing aids for 3,000 people. I've never done anything quite like that. It was an amazing and exhausting mission. I think these few pictures share the experience for me.

It's amazing that some of these children had only heard firework before and now they were hearing their parent's voices. It's incredible.

This little guy's name was Diego and he loved Molly. I didn't think Molly was going to leave Mexico without the little man. I can't blame her- he was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. He clung to her blonde hair for at least 20 minutes, with his head right next to hers, wouldn't let go. Aww, melts my heart.

The Molly and Megan team (it was much more fun to work together), our patient and his mother and our awesome translator (far left).

No words needed for this picture. His face says it all.

My friend and coincidentally, boss, Molly. We were roomies the whole time- it's a good thing I love her otherwise that whole experience with your boss could have been awkward, right?

You can't help feeling joy in this work.

Our USU team.

What a blessing in my life that I could go and serve the Mexican people. It's always when you go on these missions that you feel like you got more out of the experience than anyone else did. I appreciate these amazing experiences in my life and thank the Lord for the blessed life I am privileged to live.

8 comments:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

That's so awesome! I'm jealous you get to do things like this! Must be such a rewarding career!

Wish upon a Starr said...

What amazing pictures. The pictures say soooooo much. What a rewarding experience!! I got teary eyed on several of them. Thanks for sharing those!

Paul and Mariko said...

Those faces are priceless!! This is so cool! So I've been thinking about this humanitarian mission... do people go to this same place often? Or how are the hearing aids maintained?

The Mansfields said...

Good question Mariko! Yes, actually Starkey goes down and works with local audiologists to make sure they're trained as well as provides them with batteries and materials to maintain the HA's. They also return to the same cities a lot of the time so they catch the same people. There was a Toluca mission last year as well. Primarily though, I like training local professionals to help their own people.

Nate and Keshia said...

Wow Megz, what an incredible experience. I was smiling ear to ear and felt all warm and fuzzy inside just reading about it and seeing those cute pictures. You look beautiful and I'm so happy for you and the amazing service you have the opportunity to provide. And now we both have little London nieces!

About Us said...

You are really awesome Lady! The experiences are going to mean so much to you later in life too. Love you!

Michele and Wyatt said...

What an amazing experience. So glad that you went and shared.

Paul and Mariko said...

How cool! I'm a firm believer in teaching the locals how to maintain everything - that's what we really tried to do in Uganda too :)
What a life-changing experience - for them and you!