Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Seriously?

So I've been running 5 to 6 days a week for the last 3 weeks straight-- sometimes running morning and night. Over this time we've also gone on hikes, lifted weights, played tennis and rode our bikes in the effort to increase our activity level. To help on the nutritional end... I've cut processed foods almost entirely and primarily eaten whole foods. I'll admit I haven't been perfect because we've eaten out a few times. However, on the whole, I've made huge changes to our eating lifestyle. SO guess how much weight I've lost?? Go ahead, guess! Oh... 3 lbs. Three. Tres.

Seriously? I have been killing myself for three measly pounds? When I was working I worked out maybe twice a month and we ate out probably 4 times a week! Now we're eating out maybe 4 times a month and I'm running 4-7 miles a day. But how much less do I weigh? 3 pounds. 3 pounds??
How discouraging. With all the changes I've made, whether it be right or wrong, I had higher expectations. No, I didn't expect to lost 5 pounds a week or anything. I know it comes off slow-- but really? THAT slow? Perhaps my reality is jaded by my husband Michael, who can eat 5 Guys Burger & Fries for lunch and still drop weight the next morning. Oh, the injustice.

So anyway, needless to say it was hard for me to jump back on the pony this morning. I was so frustrated I just wanted to sit on my sofa and watch the Olympics all day. However, digging deep (very deep) I did go and do 4 miles this morning. Now I'm sweaty and tired and just thought I'd communicate my feelings to all you wonderful people. Does anyone else feel like shooting the scale themselves?? :)
This one below also made me smile.

7 comments:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

oh man, i would be upset, too! i've been trying to kind of lose weight and watch what i eat, but i'm too afraid to say anything or ask for advice about how to go about doing it, and especially afriad to ask anyone to work out with me- mostly because everyone gies me dirty looks. i'm not doing it to be a tiny super model body, but to get more healthy. i know it's hard, but look up! look at how far you've come! and even if you don't shed much weight, you at least know you are more healthy that you were! which in the long run, is probably worth it!

Rachel said...

Sorry, Megan - how frustrating! Here's the devil's advocate in me: weight isn't the best indicator! How much has your body composition changed? I bet you're more toned, have gained muscle and are overall much more fit. Do you notice any of those changes?

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie McKenna said...

So yep, I've been blog stalking you. Anyway, you are amazing-I can't believe you are putting in that much time! That's so awesome. And...muscle weighs more than fat, so don't get discouraged! You're burning that fat (like you even have any) and adding tons of muscles. Your post is so encouraging to me to get fit!

Tannie Datwyler said...

I am SO mad... I wrote you this long comment and then Deirdre somehow deleted it. I told her she was naughty and she cried... so now I feel bad.

Moving on. Here it is again.

I think you are doing amazing. I am only up to 3 miles and I've been running for several months.

I'm so sorry that the weight loss is going slow. Have you had your thyroid checked? Sometimes difficulty losing weight is associated with thyroid problems.

On the other hand.... sometimes it just takes time for your body to get in the right groove and then the weight will start to fall off.

Good luck and know that you are totally amazing.

AND, the comic strips made me laugh. :) Thanks for sharing.

Brad and Kimberly said...

I never loose weight when I run. After my first half marathon I actually gained weight. So annoying right? Don't worry, I am sure you body looks great!

The Mansfields said...

Bless you all for your kind words of encouragement!! I have come back and read them several times just to motivate myself!! SO THANK YOU!!
It has been frustrating but I think I have finally lost 5 lbs. It's coming. In answer to your question Rachel, I do feel better. I know I've lost about an inch around my stomach because my shirts now fit differently. I'm just being greedy and would like to see it on the scale! But I do appreciate the reminder that it isnt all about the numbers! I need to hear it. ;)
Angie, I'm so glad you have been following! I look at your blog too so I don't think it qualifies as stalking :)
Tannie, I did have my thyroid checked several months ago and all was normal. Boy, do I wish I could blame it on that. :)
Kim, I want to kick you in the shin. JK! But if I do get around to running a half marathon and I weigh more than I do now then I will have to shoot myself in the foot!! You're already so skinny and fit it probably didn't matter for you but I have some weight to lose tho so it BETTER come off! ;)